Start a new solo project
If you are new to LibriVox recordings, please first have a look at our Newbie Guide for Soloists.
Get the soloist template
- Open the wiki page Project Templates for BCs in a new browser tab so that you can go back to this page easily. (Windows: hold down Ctrl whilst clicking the link. Mac: hold down Command whilst clicking the link). You'll get to this page:
- After you've chosen your language, you'll get to the template (the English template is used here):
Edit the template
Step 1: Open a text editor. On Windows, you could use WordPad, on the Mac TextEdit. Or just use Word.
Step 2: Paste the template that you've just copied into your text editor (Note: you can also paste straight into your forum post but the edit window there is quite small, so using an editor might be easier unless you know what you're doing).
Step 3: Edit
- Book title and author info (1. & 2.)
- Add book introduction (write your own or use Wikipedia; please avoid spoilers. Replace xxxx with your name or the introduction source (3.)
- Target completion date (4.)
- Text source (5.)
- Edit the type of proof-listening (PL) required (6.). Please also read the Proof-listening FAQ. If you already have a dedicated Proof-Listener (DPL), you can also put the name here.
- Add more information about the book (7.)
- Enter your own book/author (8.)
- Edit the example filename (9.)
- Edit the example file tags (10.-12.)
You've now edited the soloist template. You may want to save the file!
Post the template in the forum
- Go to the New Projects Launch Pad
- Start a New Topic by clicking the button on the top left of the forum:
- Enter a subject: Type "SOLO Title by Author" (e.g."SOLO Hard Times by Charles Dickens"). For non-English books, please add the language, e.g. "SOLO [FRENCH] Les liaisons dangereuses de P.C. de Laclos"
- Copy your edited template and paste it into the edit box:
- Please now read through your finished post, and take note of the instructions in it. You can use them throughout recording to make sure you fulfill all requirements for LibriVox files before you submit them.
- Check your thread for replies every day.
- Sometimes it takes a couple of days for an MC to pick up a new project (projects are not picked chronologically, but depending on MC availability), so please be patient.
- You may already start recording. If you have never recorded a solo project before, it's best to check that your meta data (example file name & tags) are all right - just contact any member of the LibriVox admin team via PM (private message) and you should get an answer straight away.