LibriVox is a hope, an experiment, and a question: can the net harness a bunch of volunteers to help bring books in the public domain to life through podcasting?
LibriVox volunteers record chapters of books in the public domain, and then we release the audio files back onto the net (podcast, catalog, and bit torrent). We are a totally volunteer, open source, free content, public domain project.
The LibriVox Objective
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet.
We have five core values, which help guide us in achieving our objective:
- Librivox is a non-commercial, non-profit and ad-free project
- Librivox donates its recordings to the public domain
- Librivox is powered by volunteers
- Librivox maintains a loose and open structure
- Librivox welcomes all volunteers from across the globe