MERGE WITH PODCASTING AND STREAMING AUDIO
A podcast is a way to automatically download audio files to your computer, from a specific podcast show as new episodes or files are released. !LibriVox podcast files are available Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with a poem on Sunday. There is more information on the podcast page of the main !LibriVox site.
What you need to get a podcast:
* A podcast receiver (sometimes called a podcatcher) which is just software that will find and collect the files you want (examples: iTunes, Juice). You could also try a web-based service such as odeo. * The Firefox browser features a built-in Feed Reader to handle subscribing to a podcast, which it refers to as creating a "Live Bookmark". * The "feed URL" of the podcasts you want (sometimes referred to as an "RSS feed"), and then you can enter the feed into the podcast receiver (called subscribing).
The link to a podcast (which has the extension ".xml") is known as an "RSS feed" (for "Really Simple Syndication"). This same mechanism, which is used for getting updates of podcast shows, can also be used to acquire any specific audio book, including story and poetry collections, in the LibriVox catalog. Every page in the catalog has a short set of links just below the description. Three of them are related to podcasting and RSS feeds, labeled, "RSS feed", "Subscribe in iTunes", and "Chapter-a-day".
There are [:HowToGetLibriVoxAudioFiles/MSWindows#itunes: instructions] for using iTunes to get !LibriVox audio books (ie, "subscribing").
- this seems redundant given the wiki instructions on the same thing:
- About Listening to LibriVox
- on the main Web site contains the instructions "Subscribe in iTunes".
New Releases Podcasts
Read the [:NewReleasesPodcast: Project Coordinator's Guidelines to New Releases]
- harvey copied the following instructions from the main Web site in 2006,
- purposely leaving out the active links.
- This should be integrated into this PodcastPage.
(The following instructions were copied from another part of the site, and are awaiting integration into this page.)
1. Get some podcast receiver software such as juice, or iTunes
1. To subscribe using ipodder: right click/control click and copy this link: !LibriVox Podcast Feed. In ipodder, choose "tools" then "add a feed" and paste the link into the "url" field. You will be able to download past podcasts and automatically receive future podcasts.
1. To subscribe using iTunes, you may copy the !LibriVox Podcast Feed link in the same way, then in iTunes choose "advanced" then "subscribe to podcast" and paste the link into the "url" field.
1. Or you can simply click here: One-Click iTunes Subscription. If you get a pop-up, choose "launch application". iTunes will launch on your computer, and the !LibriVox podcast page will appear. Click the "subscribe" button, and you will be able to download past podcasts and automatically receive future podcasts.